Saturday 27 December 2014

The Top 10 Afrobeat Songs of 2014!

Merry Christmas Guys!

Al-right, I Know it's not actually Christmas, but it was less than 3 days ago so it still counts. I hope you've had a wonderful Christmas times, eating all the turkeys (or jollof rice if you're proper African). Those who know me know that I am the Queen of Afro-beat! I live and breathe it and if a club isn't playing it then there's no chance you'll find me there so I decided to share with you the top 10 songs in 2014 which BANGED! Hard!

1. DOROBUCCI- by the Mavins
When you're old fashioned mum who doesn't even know who Beyonce is or WIzkid starts singing a song, then you know that song has made it. Dorobucci swept the country hard even though no one, not even Don Jazzy knows what the hell 'Doro' means. Basically just put Doro in front of every word.
2. SHOKI- Lil Kesh
This song is actually just amazing! Nah this song is the real meaning of BANG!  You know how Ghanain azonto to every song well Nigerians now shoki to every song. The song is amazing and the dance is even better. I can't do it justice with words, check it out yourself. BTW; he's olamide's younger brother!

3. JOHNNY- Yemi Alade
This song was a banger as soon as it came out, like there was no question about it. From the video to the lyrics to Bovi's humorous interferences, the song is just a winner. Added to that, plenty of girls can relate as there are many Johnny going around these days. (Yes that was an indirect)
4. AYE- Davido
This was the love song of the year, girls were singing it, boys were singing it on the sly so they don't look gay, uncles in the club were singing it, their wives at home were singing it. The only thing wrong with the song is him saying that 'she no want designer, she no want ferrari' who is she cause all the girls i know deffo want designer.

5. ADONAI- Castro ft Sarkodie
Firstly, RIP Castro. Secondly this was one of the biggest song of this year, Literally every single black club, music station, phone, persons mouth was playing this song. It was afrobeat at it's best infused with some Christian elements (allegedly it's gospel though I'm not 100% sure) either way people were tripping for this song.
6. KHONA- Mafikizolo
Was sure I was going to spell their name wrong lol. This is more late 2013 but it fully banged in 2014 and really brought South Africa and other African countries into the mainstream afrobeat scene. 1
question though, what does Khona mean? Guess we have the same problem as 'Doro'
7. IJO SONA- Sona
This one makes me so sad because Sona is actually such a live afro-beat artist. He is UK based and the 4 songs he has released have been so on point and gotten me gassed till i found out he's been arrested. The song came out of nowhere and banged though! Make sure you check out his other songs.
8. THE BADDEST- Moelogo ft Giggs
This song is actually such a harddd song. From the first moment I heard it in a friend's car, I've been searching for it. The collab with Giggs was genius and the guys lyrical flow was on point. I hadn't heard of him before but I certainly have now.
9. GIRLIE O- Patoranking ft Tiwa Savage
AHH i know literally all the words to this song and so does half the girls that ahve heard it i suspect. it is such a beautiful song with some jamo undertones( that's patoranking for you) and Tiwa savage's voice just made it 10/10.
10. ALKAYIDA- Guru
This one is a funny one because people here the title and get it confused with an organisation with an identical sounding name but NO, don't be scurred, Alkayida is a recent Ghanain dance that has taken over every afro-beat club and black house party and even though hald the people can't do it, you'll see them flexing their hands and pretending they can when it comes on.


I can only put 10 down but trust me there has bee en so many good songs in 2014 that I have just loved. Mr OREO is my all time favourite, STORY FOR THE GODS just gets me, JASI is actually the funniest thing ever, BABY HELLO, ELELE, TINA, SHAKE BODY, to name a few.
Comment below some of your favourites.
The moral of the story is that Afrobeat bangs so keep listening to it.

Odabo. (Bye)

No comments:

Post a Comment